A Complete Explanation Of Everything

Monday, October 1, 2007

Free beer...

The scene: Sin é on the quays, city centre, Dublin...

Yours truly leaning on the bar, the bald barman takes a moment's silent contemplation and repose as he washes his hands and I wait patiently as the crowd throngs around me.

"What will you have Sir"

"A pint of Staropramen please..."

Staropramen is a Czech beer and one of the best things about immigration in Dublin means it's becoming widely available on draft...

The pint is duly served, I move to hand over the cash.

"No, no" He says...

Eh? I'm thinking...

"I have a little tradition, at 11.30, I always give my first customer a free pint..."

Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather... Free beer is a dangerous and consequently infrequent resource on the Emerald Isle. I've had free beer / alcohol in virtually every country I've visited but it's a long time since I had a free pint round here. Problem being I suppose, with the hint of a free pint available, we'd never go home...

Paddy and the lads were well impressed.

As Paddy remarked: "I'm going to be here next Saturday at half eleven..."

See what I mean!
posted by Christophe at 1.10.07

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home