A Complete Explanation Of Everything

Saturday, January 27, 2007

I could start again, you can depend on it...

Review: Farewell to the World - Crowded House Live in Sydney (1996)

So yeah. The news must be out by now.

Monsieur Finn et Monsieur Seymour have decided to reform and put Crowded House on the road once more. This either makes the release of "Farewell to the World", the supposedly final concert of Crowded House, incredibly timely or a gigantic waste of time.

I'm putting it in the incredibly timely category for a number of reasons.

I'll always remember Mark Hart's solo on "Distant Sun" in this gig for some reason, I've no compelling reason why, ok, I absolutely love the song. But that's not enough and it's not even the best rendition, in fact the entire concert smacks of a deep discomfort for the band, trying to come to terms with what Crowded House was coming to represent.

Perhaps, and I won't say this ever again probably, Dave Fanning (see?!) got it right (egads!!!) when he said to Neil Finn, in the wake of the split of the band, that Crowded House had in essence blown it. Potential wise, they were unlimited versus other bands, in the idea that they hadn't mortgaged their credibility for commercial success and yet had achieved reasonable returns in the mainstream...

Actually Dave put it this way... On the beatbox of all things!

"Neil. You had the world at your feet. You could have been bigger than the Beatles! But you blew it! Discuss!"

Something like that, anyway.

It was the one time, I was actually proud of Dave Fanning.

If only for the gobsmacked expression on Neil Finn's face.

But there is freedom without.

And there is freedom within.

And they're going to try and catch that deluge in a paper cup once more.

Rest in peace, Paul Hester.
posted by Christophe at 27.1.07

3 Comments:

Releasing the Farewell gig on DVD was never going to be a waste of time, particularly if you are one of the record execs. Everyone is going to buy it in the same way as they are going to fight tooth and nail for concert tickets. After all, Paul Hester didn't do most of the last concerts before the closure of CH anyway.

29.1.07  

A comment?

Whatever will I do!!!

Respond?

I won't fight for tickets.

I'll buy if they come my way but much in the way I live my life by the adage: "Never run after a bus, never run after a woman", I'll not get dragged into that unseemliness!!!

:O)

29.1.07  

Yes, well...I'm afraid I wouldn't admit to such decorum. One of the very few regrets I have in my life is not scraping the 17.50 required to see them in the Point in 1994.

I want a ticket to see them in concert. I shall start growing my nails in preparation.

30.1.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home