A Complete Explanation Of Everything

Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Christian Slater Double Bill...

Pump Up The Volume (1990) / Untamed Heart (1993)

So yeah, years and years ago, I was romantically linked with this girl Jill (no jack other than the whiskey involved) and she recommended: "Pump The Volume" and I'd never seen it. It has taken me donkey's years to get around to it. But yeah, gave it the spin tonight.

And it's alright. But only just. It's the sort of narcissitic, navel gazing shit, that has very few moments. Slater is fine in it, it comes on like a pre-pubescent and much shitter version of "Heathers".

Not much more to say on that score, I'll probably leave the dvd on a street corner later, much like Jill left me.

Next up, "Untamed Heart". Now, this is a movie I have watched before and I still really kinda like it. Ok, I lie, it's ultra schmaltzy but I've always been in love with Caroline (Marisa Tomei), a sassy yet vulnerable waitress, with amazing eyes and a sweet sensibility. Forget Slater in this one, Tomei steals the show and I'll never forget her in this, "My Cousin Vinny" may not as well have ever happened. "In the Bedroom" probably a decade later probably reprises an even more unlucky in love Caroline but what can you do.

This movie does not pull its punches, or rather it's schmaltz. But I challenge there to be a dry eye in the house at the inevitable, not very American ending. Or to paraphrase the character, Caroline...

I don't make sense, this movie doesn't make sense. Together, we make sense.

Just quite why Jillian didn't see it that way, we'll never know...

posted by Christophe at 3.11.07

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home